Thursday, August 6, 2009

Brother, TaiKor, AhNeh, Hia Dee...

"Men who achieve great heights are seldom brought together based on common interests; it is in the differences which they work through that brings them to the scales which they reach..."


I have a brother whom I did not choose.
He came into the family through my Mom 3 years after I did.

There went my spotlight which I have had enjoyed for the first 3 years of my life.
Suddenly, it wasn’t only about me anymore.
Whenever there was a whimper, Mom & Dad or whomever were paying their "finally I managed to grab" attention to me earlier just scurry to his side to see if everything is ok.

They would also compliment on how he seemed a little bit cuter than I was when I was new-born in a different dialect or language, thinking I would not get what it was that they were saying.

"Hello.
I am 3 years old lah."


By then I had picked up 3 dialects & 3 different languages...


He grew up with his set of challenges, both to my parents & to himself.

However, all I could say today is that:
"Well, I may not have had a choice earlier, but given one, I would probably still want you as my brother..."

I use "probably", coz I am sure he should know that there are instances in which he could have done better.


Dude, don’t give up.
Keep trying.
You can do it!


After all, you’re my blood brother; so how much worse off could you get?

Hahaha... :)


There are also brothers of a different kind.
Those whom we get to choose.
Maybe in the beginning they are merely acquaintances.
But after a while & the things you go through together, you become friends.

The time will come when the level is raised when challenges you face together or happiness you share bring you closer.
It would also feel rather uncomfortable when you don’t meet each other for a certain period of time & feel something is missing in your usual self.
That’s when you realise that they have touched your lives & that they truly deserve a special place in your heart.
These guys, through your choosing, become your brothers.

I have been described as a person who picks his company very fervently.
I may not be very friendly at times & I do not practice discretion when displaying this fact.

But there is a band-of-brothers whom I trust with my life.

Literally.

For the things that we have gone through together are really experiences which money cannot buy.
That is exactly why, recently, I was saddened that before I was given an opportunity to utter my grievances, I felt judged on my current actions & inactions.

However, having faith that they would understand, I chose to unmask myself & let them see that I have not changed, just some situations & circumstances have adjusted themselves & I still am who they are comfortable being with.

What you see is what you get.
Nothing to hide.
Just good old FF.


God loves me.
Otherwise He would not have put me in the company of this group of kind-hearted people.

People I care for as much as they care for me.
People who trust that I carry the best of their interests at heart & carry mine in theirs.
People whom I am certain will be there with me no matter thick or thin, doing whatever they can in their capacity for what I believe in.

These people whom I call brothers of different mothers.


I love you all.

2 comments:

  1. ah.. sounds like there is good bonding. good to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ever.
    I am looking forward not to be inspired to raise a piece about sisters...

    Watch this space... :)

    ReplyDelete